 Off-Topic / Debate / 26639
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:26:03 GMT

   You mentioned the issue of resources. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but the cost of supporting a criminal for a full life-sentence is considerably less than the cost of prosecuting that same criminal through the entirety of his appeals process.

No way, you’ve got to be kidding me. Now I know how we massage a budget here in our little sewer district to show numbers we want, so I can imagine a criminal institution can show how it costs $1/day to support a convict. Sorry, I don’t buy it. I found this on a quick google search. Housing per day according to this is $75.00. (not food, nor clothing) After 40 years is $1,095,000, for housing alone. Cripes, I don’t think Gary Ridgeway spent that much on defense. (O.J. might of...) But the justice of the dollar is another issue.

   This would also have the advantage of allowing for corrective action if the criminal is later found to be innocent.

Yeah, it does have that.

   You also suggest a “penal unit” to be used in military action. This presents additional problems, among them the matters of discipline and reliability, not to mention the possibility of warcrimes committed by a group formed on the basis of homicidal tendencies. I’ll let others comment on this question if they wish.

No doubt. But my point is homicidal maniacs are already there. I feel that those problems could be overcome. Certainly not much more difficult than creating an elaborate justice system.

Mark