 Off-Topic / Debate / 26665
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:08:57 GMT

   At this point I should restate my standard disclaimer that I see no reason to conclude that any moral absolutes can be known by humans with certainty.

Why would you be so reticent to conclude that the taking of an innocent human life for no reason or purpose, but for, say amusement, isn’t absolutely wrong and evil for everyone, not just you yourself?

   With this in mind, any seemingly absolute statements I make along the lines of “reality TV is absolutely evil” should be considered a paraphrase of “reality TV is as completely objectionable to my aesthetic sense as I am able to ascertain.” That is, I’m not addressing an actual, universal absolute.

   Bruce has already mentioned the problem of certainty, which is a pretty strong objection IMO. The current system has numerous examples of convicted people who didn’t commit the murders of which they’re accused, so we’re actually executing (or scheduled to execute) innocents.

Certainly not knowingly. Nothing in life is certain, death and taxes notwithstanding, so I fail to see why this issue should be held to an impossible standard. Yeah, it’s irreversible, but work as hard as humanly possbile to make the system work correctly, and let it be.

For me the problem is simply that I’m not comfortable with the uncertainty.

Yes, but according to you, nothing is (or can be ascertained to be) certain, so where does that leave your objection?

   With capital punishment in place, we seem to prefer erring in favor the possibility of guilt, while to me it would be morally superior to err in favor of the possibility of innocence.

I don’t understand looking at an issue through the lens of error possiblity. If this type of introspective scrutiny were applied to everything, nothing would ever get decided!

   And if the convicted person is incarcerated, the level of possible harm to society-at-large is about the same as if he’s been executed.

Yes, but where is the justice? You are merely addressing the issue of protecting society from the killer. There is no justice in merely removing a criminal’s freedom. Did we not agree that life is more precious than freedom?

   Where is the indignation when innocents are murdered by murderers who are released from prison (or who get off through a system that would rather be safe than sorry)?

A fair objection. As an answer, I would offer that the murderer is a murderer, after all, while I would hope to hold society to a higher standard of conduct. Also, the issue in this particular hypothetical example is the premature release of the murderer.

Which happens all of the time, and I’m not talking about parole. Technicalities, smooth talking defense lawyers; things of that nature.

   I’d propose that murder carry a sentence of life-without-parole rather than the current “life without parole for at least the first few years.”

   How about frozen stasis? I know we don’t have the technology now, but what if we did? Because I am hearing from this tangent that you think capital punishment would be justified if 100% was possible. Or are you merely requiring impossible criteria to essentially render the issue mute;-)

I agree that if they’re frozen, then they’re probably mute!

But for clarity, I’ll state it explictly: in my view capital punishment is not justified if the intended recipient of that punishment can otherwise be rendered permanently unable to harm society-at-large.

So you do equate “life” with “freedom”.

   I recognize the problems with this formulation. I would therefore add that killing may be necessary in self-defense or when the killing would prevent other deaths. For example, if my killing of five guys is the only way to stop them from blowing up a bus full of people, then I’d have to conclude that it’s necessary.

However, the purely mathematical component of this formulation gives me trouble. If the murderer, for example, is driving an explosives-laden car with four innocent people aboard, I don’t know specifically how I’d justify those four deaths even if they’d save the whole busload.

Maybe we should leave in-the-moment self-defense aside until we’ve reached some sort of conclusion re: capital punishment itself...

But if the murderer would be frozen in perpetuity, I don’t see that it’s tangibly different from capital punishment, so my objection remains.

But I thought your rub with capital punishment was the permanency of it-- if we merely freeze the murderer, the possibility still exists that in the unlikely event that new evidence comes to bear which exonerates him, he can be thawed and released, with no loss of longevity, no less.

   In my mind, the murderer’s life is forfeit. He no longer possesses any rights. He does owe the family a debt which can only be paid with his life. This is the only way I can see that ultimately respects the sanctity of life. The ultimate price must be paid or regard for life becomes debased.

This formulation troubles me as well. How does the murderer’s death repay his debt to the family?

Well, the debt would technically be to the victim, but they are obviously not around to collect it. That is the job of the family and/or society, in order for justice to be served.

   If the murderer kills a homeless man with no family, to whom is the debt then owed?

To the homeless man, with society making sure the debt paid on his behalf.

   If the murderer kills himself immediately after the murder, does that repay the debt?

Yes.

   I expect that in the last example the debt would not be satisfied, so I am inclined to believe that the debt is not repaid by the murderer’s death but by the process of execution itself. This is also morally objectionable to me because it fosters a tit-for-tat sense of bloodthirst. Also (and again without being flippant), it would seem to me that execution is not the ultimate penalty under Christian thinking.

Well, I don’t recognize any set “Christian thinking”. Obviously not, because Christians are all over the map on issues such as abortion or capital punishment.

But generally speaking, if I person commits a crime, I believe that they need to be punished, and I don’t think that that idea is anti-Christian. Love the sinner, hate the sin stuff. So all I am arguing is that the punishment for murder should be death.

   Oddly, this dredges up my ancient memory of Antigone, in which the ruler Creon forbade Antigone’s brother to be buried, thereby consigning him to walk the earth as a spirit. In the play, this was considered the ultimate penalty because the spirit was not allowed to rest.

   I think the most moral societies begin with the morality of their individuals and their nuclear (W pronunciation;-) families.

Umberto Eco has written in a very similar vein. The individual tends to justify action against another person by either including or excluding that other person from the individual’s “group.” Someone who is considered outside the group (say, a clone-brand-fan) can be more palatably excluded from group-inclusive benefits (and that’s just a facetious example, mind you).

The hope is that individuals raised morally by families will be less likely to be influenced towards evil through group dynamics. That’s my strategy for my children, at least....

I think that the morally superior course is to value life rather than execute people (even those who are grossly out of step with society). It strikes me as logically inconsistent to value life by terminating life.

Yes, I agree that, at first glance, it sounds logically inconsistent. But where is the unlogical in this: if one values life above all else, then the penalty for taking life should reflect the degree of intolerance. So, if you hold that life is the most precious thing, and murder is the ultimate crime, only the most precious thing can be paid to satisfy murder’s debt.

I will come clean with you by saying that I have not fully assimulated this argument for capital punishment-- I only came across it rather recently, and thought I’d play the devil’s advocate and bounce it off of you. I am still of 2 minds about it. Thanks for your (and -->Bruce<--‘s -where to locate that possesive?), Dave!

JOHN