 Off-Topic / Debate / 26626
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:44:58 GMT

   The Supreme Court has moved our nation one step forward toward the abandonment of a barbaric practice!

Way to go, Supremes!

Not much to debate, I guess, except that the practice should be banned altogether. All in good time.

Dave!

Query: What in your opinion (not necessarily Dave but YOU the reader) is a satisfactory deterent/punishment for the planned killing of another human? (I’m not talking about drunk drivers or rage induced killings. I mean the serial killer or the one who dileberately plans and executes the extinguishing of another human life)

I’ve always sort of thought of life in prison as a waste of resources. For some therepy and the like could work, but overall I think it also fits nicely into waste of resources.

Capital punishment seemed good enough, eye for an eye sort of thing, but yes that really doesn’t make it right. (especially considering the state of our policing system that has a nasty tendancy to nab the most available suspect, not always the correct one. Try to remember folks, CSI is fiction.)

I sort of leaned to a new option. From my experience in the service I found that the bloodthirsty/violent crowd does rather well in the infantry. To that effect I thought penal units could be an interesting option. Creative use of homicidal tendancies? I figure if I have to pay for this sucker to exist I want thier talents utilized in a positive way.

Mark