 Off-Topic / Debate / 26647
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:42:02 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John Neal wrote: Which is more precious: one person’s life or that same person’s freedom?
I guess that’s up to the person, assuming that he or she is competent to make that decision (which, I grant, is another debate in itself) However, given the fact that so many prisoners continue to appeal their death sentences in hope of commuting them to life-without-parole, I’d have to conclude that, for these people at least, life is more precious than freedom.

(that’s not actually a fair example, because those prisoners are trying to get from death-without-freedom to life-without-freedom. It’s not an exchange of life and freedom.)

Obtaining life-without-freedom opens the possibility of it being changed later to life-with-freedom. So even if one person’s freedom is more important than one person’s life, that one person might still opt for life-without-freedom over death (with or without freedom).

Steve