 Off-Topic / Debate / 26644
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:58:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Neumann wrote:

   You mentioned the issue of resources. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but the cost of supporting a criminal for a full life-sentence is considerably less than the cost of prosecuting that same criminal through the entirety of his appeals process.

No way, you’ve got to be kidding me. Now I know how we massage a budget here in our little sewer district to show numbers we want, so I can imagine a criminal institution can show how it costs $1/day to support a convict. Sorry, I don’t buy it. I found this on a quick google search. Housing per day according to this is $75.00. (not food, nor clothing) After 40 years is $1,095,000, for housing alone. Cripes, I don’t think Gary Ridgeway spent that much on defense. (O.J. might of...) But the justice of the dollar is another issue.

You have to consider the cost of judges wages, court time, time waiting for court cases (spent in jail-more than ten years on average if I remember). That could easily add to more than the cost of incarceration. Also, consider that your average offender will not spend 40 years in jail, perhaps more like 25 (I’m guesstimating that). Death can easily be more expensive.

   snip

One could complicate the system and allow less recourse for sane, convicted multiple killers where there is going to be less chance for doubt.

Tim