 Off-Topic / Debate / 26654
Re: Excellent news!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:06:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

“You won’t have Dick Nixon to kick around anymore.”

-Dick Nixon (to the press, after losing the governor’s race in California, who, sure enough, didn’t have the wisdom to stick with his promise and got the ultimate kicking around)

So welcome back to debate! ;-)

Thanks. Resume kicking position:-)

   Murder carries the stiffest penalties as it is without the death penalty, so it seems that you are applying something of a either a false analogy or have a separate complaint about sloppily and inconsistently applied penalties. I will certainly agree that there are penalties that are inconsistent with the crime, usually for political expediency, but that seems to me more an argument for getting them under control rather than just upping the ante.

Well, humans only live so long. I see little difference in a sentence of 40 years and one of 3 consecutive life sentences. I love it when someone becomes eligible for parole after a couple of hundred years. Doesn’t anyone find that the least bit absurd?

Indeed, is it not even offensive that heinous murderers are allowed to retain that which is most precious when they didn’t afford the same to their victims? Keeping them alive doesn’t uphold the value of life; ending theirs does-- the precious lives of their victims.

Assure me that everyone ever executed was guilty and I’ll agree to the death penalty.

Why? How? Specious besides. Let’s stick to an example of a serial killer who confesses. Should we execute him?

   If not, then we have murdered the innocent in the name of justice.

And, of course, we have.

   In theory then, all those that support the death penalty should be executed. :-O

Good thing for us then that you don’t believe in the death penalty-- hoisted by your own Picard;-)

(plowing through my ST:TNG collection; just finished season 1)

JOHN