 Off-Topic / Debate / 24533
Re: One world order is a pipe dream (was Re: UN Gets It Right!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:46:17 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   And as a question of training and development, I have seen it as a successful technique to have recalcitrants sit in as chairs of bodies for a while. The deeper exposure to the issues, the better understanding of what its all about often leads to better sign on, and better performance. And it also helps overcome the (generally well founded) concern that bodies always led by westerners fail to appreciate the issues of other countries, and become yet more avenues of western imperialism.

Seriously, only a Liberal could come up with such a justification!

You could well be right. I don’t know who came up with it.

I recall being a bit surprised myself the first time I heard it being applied in practice. Since then I have seen it work successfully on a factory floor, in a sales force, and in a large professional services firm. I have no reason to doubt that it would be successful at raising average levels of performance and reducing low flyers at the international level.

There is generally a limit in how far and how successfully you can lead people to do what you want, even if you think its in their best interests. Beyond that (and if the process really is in joint interests), you can recognise that the people being led are stakeholders in the process and the outcome, and allow them to participate in running it.

Or you can just go on complaining about the splinter in the other fellow’s eye, and demanding that only people like you be in charge of things. People get tired of this, and even basic levels of compliance can fall away unless you continually raise the coercion.

Sound familiar?

Richard
Still baldly going...