 Off-Topic / Debate / 24532
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 06:46:45 GMT

(snip)

   I think they have a case. How would a commercial promoting a movie that criticizes a political candidate differ in kind from a commercial criticizing a political candidate paid for by a political opponent?

By that reasoning, FoxNews, the National Register, and The Wall Street Journal should likewise be regulated as pro-Bush political commercials.

I think your analogy is faulty. The group is specifically concerned about TV commercial time.

   Further, isn’t the DNC buying millions of dollars worth of this movie to use/give away/whatever as a tool to reelect Kerry?

Are they? I haven’t heard that--do you have a citation?

I can’t remember where I heard this, and my attempts to locate the info were unsuccessful. Let me get back to you on that if I can.

   And even if the DNC is buying tickets, is that illegal? Does the Republican National Committe only buy campaign stickers and buttons that it actually produces for itself?

   “I have not publicly endorsed John Kerry. I am an independent, I am not a member of the Democratic Party.” Okaaay, whatever, MM. The guy is so disingenuous it is beyond belief.

Do you identify Ralph Nader as a Republican? He opposes Kerry, so therefore me must be Republican, right?

So are you asserting that MM doesn’t support Kerry? Semantic games.

   If you had much familiarity with Moore beyond what the Conservative Echo Chamber tends to report, you’d know that he is bitterly critical of Clinton as a President, and he is not a member of the Democratic party. Just because Moore correctly identifies Dubya as a dangerously destructive megalomaniac, you cannot assume that Moore is a Democrat. Stop by the website of the American Nationalist Union if you want to see some serious, non-Democrat criticism of Dubya.

What are you saying, Dave!? Merely because MM isn’t a registered Democrat is meaningless. The point is moot. Democrats have embraced MM.

   Seems to me that this is another example of how Democrats love to regulate, but don’t feel those very rules they create don’t apply to them. Look at the completely foundationless appeal of MM to the MPAA on his film’s “R” rating. The case is so clear cut, but somehow MM should be exempt. Contemptible. Typical.

Why, exactly, should Moore’s film be rated R instead of PG-13?

From the MPAA website:

“A film’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, shall initially require the Rating Board to issue that film at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive must lead the Rating Board to issue a film an R rating, as must even one of these words used in a sexual context.”

It is my understanding that MM choose to include 4 separate instances of the expletive that rhymes with “another trucker”

I also understand that MM includes footage of a live beheading. The bottom line is that this film could have easily been rated PG-13 if MM thought the rules would apply to his work.

JOHN