 Off-Topic / Debate / 24541
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:57:53 GMT

   By that reasoning, FoxNews, the National Register, and The Wall Street Journal should likewise be regulated as pro-Bush political commercials.

I think your analogy is faulty. The group is specifically concerned about TV commercial time.

Ah, I see. Sorry.

I thought you meant that the group opposed the airing of the film itself, rather than the commercials advertising for the film. I’ll need to think about that.

   Do you identify Ralph Nader as a Republican? He opposes Kerry, so therefore me must be Republican, right?

So are you asserting that MM doesn’t support Kerry? Semantic games.

Moore’s actions may collaterally support Kerry, but Moore has publicly (and recently) condemned Democrats for failing to stand up to Dubya’s administration and failing to demand full disclosure and accountability of that administration. Moore may wind up supporting Kerry by default, but only because Kerry isn’t Bush.

   What are you saying, Dave!? Merely because MM isn’t a registered Democrat is meaningless. The point is moot. Democrats have embraced MM.

Well, that’s not Mike’s fault, is it? Bill O’Reilly claims that he’s not a Conservative, but Conservatives and Republicans have embraced him (and all of his racism, homophobia, and fear-mongering). Should Bill begin every show by saying “I reject the support of Conservatives and Republicans”?

   Why, exactly, should Moore’s film be rated R instead of PG-13?

   It is my understanding that MM choose to include 4 separate instances of the expletive that rhymes with “another trucker”

Hmm. I believe Colonel Kurtz said it best:

“We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won’t allow them to write f**k on their airplanes because it’s obscene!”

   I also understand that MM includes footage of a live beheading. The bottom line is that this film could have easily been rated PG-13 if MM thought the rules would apply to his work.

I can see your point, but I maintain that, since these ugly realities are part of the war that Dubya started, then the people who employ Dubya should be given uncensored access to the realities of what his war has wrought.

Dave!