 Off-Topic / Debate / 24527
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:34:44 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek wrote: (snip)... because there’s no need to repeat it, especially if it goes unanswered by Dave!(1)

But, tangentially related, here’s a story

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=762&e=1&u=/ap/20040624/apenmo/filmfahrenheit911

in which some conservative group apparently wants to block Mr. Moore from advertising his movie at certain time periods because to do so violates campaign finance laws.

Talk about reaching!

I think they have a case. How would a commercial promoting a movie that criticizes a political candidate differ in kind from a commercial criticizing a political candidate paid for by a political opponent?

By that reasoning, FoxNews, the National Register, and The Wall Street Journal should likewise be regulated as pro-Bush political commercials.

   Further, isn’t the DNC buying millions of dollars worth of this movie to use/give away/whatever as a tool to reelect Kerry?

Are they? I haven’t heard that--do you have a citation? And even if the DNC is buying tickets, is that illegal? Does the Republican National Committe only buy campaign stickers and buttons that it actually produces for itself?

   “I have not publicly endorsed John Kerry. I am an independent, I am not a member of the Democratic Party.” Okaaay, whatever, MM. The guy is so disingenuous it is beyond belief.

Do you identify Ralph Nader as a Republican? He opposes Kerry, so therefore me must be Republican, right?

If you had much familiarity with Moore beyond what the Conservative Echo Chamber tends to report, you’d know that he is bitterly critical of Clinton as a President, and he is not a member of the Democratic party. Just because Moore correctly identifies Dubya as a dangerously destructive megalomaniac, you cannot assume that Moore is a Democrat. Stop by the website of the American Nationalist Union if you want to see some serious, non-Democrat criticism of Dubya.

   Seems to me that this is another example of how Democrats love to regulate, but don’t feel those very rules they create don’t apply to them. Look at the completely foundationless appeal of MM to the MPAA on his film’s “R” rating. The case is so clear cut, but somehow MM should be exempt. Contemptible. Typical.

Why, exactly, should Moore’s film be rated R instead of PG-13? Is it because of the graphic depictions of wartime casualties? I would suggest that footage of war injuries should be given a G rating and should be required viewing for anyone who would too eagerly engage in war. It is contemptible to insist that the realities of war (be they flag-draped caskets, accurate tallies of the dead and wounded, or footage of “collateral damage”) should be hidden from the very people who should most certainly be made aware of those realities.

Dave!