 Off-Topic / Debate / 24523
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:28:58 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek wrote: (snip)... because there’s no need to repeat it, especially if it goes unanswered by Dave!(1)

But, tangentially related, here’s a story

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=762&e=1&u=/ap/20040624/apenmo/filmfahrenheit911

in which some conservative group apparently wants to block Mr. Moore from advertising his movie at certain time periods because to do so violates campaign finance laws.

Talk about reaching!

I think they have a case. How would a commercial promoting a movie that criticizes a political candidate differ in kind from a commercial criticizing a political candidate paid for by a political opponent? And besides, the group is only protesting any advertising after July 31st. Further, isn’t the DNC buying millions of dollars worth of this movie to use/give away/whatever as a tool to reelect Kerry? Talking about reaching:

“I have not publicly endorsed John Kerry. I am an independent, I am not a member of the Democratic Party.” Okaaay, whatever, MM. The guy is so disingenuous it is beyond belief.

Seems to me that this is another example of how Democrats love to regulate, but don’t feel those very rules they create don’t apply to them. Look at the completely foundationless appeal of MM to the MPAA on his film’s “R” rating. The case is so clear cut, but somehow MM should be exempt. Contemptible. Typical.

JOHN