 Off-Topic / Debate / 22985
Re: Justice for all.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:45:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:

   Is there an addendum that clarifies when a video is humiliating and when it’s not? Saddam appeared in lots of video before, and will probably appear in more during the trial. What are the rules on this? I haven’t found them yet.

A good question. I know there was an uproar when US POW’s in Iraq were featured even briefly on Al-Jazeera, for example. Hussein was able, according to reports, to identify himself as “the President of Iraq” to his American captors, so this (if true) demonstrates that he had no medical condition preventing him from stating his identity.

Beyond that, Hussein’s DNA has been sampled since his capture, and that would seem to trump the need for any photo as verification of his identity (as long as a pre-existing known sample of his DNA was available!) The “humiliating’ part, in my view, comes up when we see endless rebroadcasting of the open-wide-and-say-aah exam, juxtaposed with Dubya chanting that Hussein was a rat in a hole.

Yeah that’s annoying, but just the sort of thing the media loves to broadcast. How do you stop them? Anyhow, my question remains:

Has the “Red Cross or any other impartial humanitarian organization” ever actually identified any of the video on Al-Jazeera or the western media as “humiliating”?

yes

Scott A

Thank you. That’s half of the answer I was looking for. Does anyone have a link where the same impartial humanitarian organization declares the Al-Jazeera footage humiliating? I found some hints with a quick google search, but nothing quite as definate as the Saddam link. I hate the way the passage of time erodes news archives on the internet.

You really are grasping a staws; from their site:

“The treatment of prisoners of war, again the rules of war are fairly clear, all parties, all sides are expected to treat the prisoners humanely and in accordance with international humanitarian law and we are concerned that all sides respect these rules equally, whether it is the British or the Americans or the Iraqis.”

Also: Iraq/USA: No double standards for POWs

Your point is facile. Even if nobody did condemn the way US troops were treated (they did), that does not give your ‘president’ the right to break the law by parading his trophies both dead and alive on TV.

What do you think the punishment for reciprocal video humiliation should be?

Put Bush in front of the ICC? ;)

Scott A

Don