 Off-Topic / Debate / 22990
Re: Justice for all.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:34:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
Is there an addendum that clarifies when a video is humiliating
and when it's not?  Saddam appeared in lots of video before, and
will probably appear in more during the trial.  What are the rules
on this?  I haven't found them yet.

A good question.  I know there was an uproar when US POW's in Iraq were
featured even briefly on Al-Jazeera, for example.  Hussein was able,
according to reports, to identify himself as "the President of Iraq"
to his American captors, so this (if true) demonstrates that he had no
medical condition preventing him from stating his identity.

Beyond that, Hussein's DNA has been sampled since his capture, and that
would seem to trump the need for any photo as verification of his
identity (as long as a pre-existing known sample of his DNA was
available!)  The "humiliating' part, in my view, comes up when we see
endless rebroadcasting of the open-wide-and-say-aah exam, juxtaposed
with Dubya chanting that Hussein was a rat in a hole.

Yeah that's annoying, but just the sort of thing the media loves
to broadcast.  How do you stop them?  Anyhow, my question remains:

Has the "Red Cross or any other impartial humanitarian organization"
ever actually identified any of the video on Al-Jazeera or the western
media as "humiliating"?

<http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/18/sprj.irq.saddam.photo/ yes>

Scott A

Thank you.  That's half of the answer I was looking for.  Does anyone
have a link where the same impartial humanitarian organization
declares the Al-Jazeera footage humiliating?  I found some hints with
a quick google search, but nothing quite as definate as the Saddam
link.  I hate the way the passage of time erodes news archives on
the internet.

You really are grasping a staws; from their
<http://web.amnesty.org/pages/irq-faq_2-eng site>:

Heh, beat you to it.  http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22983

Your point is facile. Even if nobody did condemn the way US troops were
treated (they did), that does not give your ‘president’ the right to break
the law by parading his trophies [both dead and alive] on TV.

I'm not sure I made a point, other than that google is not the best
way to search for old news.  I did find it before you did though, or
did you *purposely* leave out the other side of the story?  I'm new
here, so I don't know all the rules of .debate.

What do you think the punishment for reciprocal video humiliation
should be?

Put Bush in front of the ICC? ;)

Wouldn't someone first have to prove Bush himself gave the order to
broadcast videos?  I'm sure the guilty party will turn out to be someone
from the liberal media.  ;^)

By the way, what's the ICC?