 Off-Topic / Debate / 22968
Re: Justice for all.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:28:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
Should Saddam should get a fair trial in Iraq? Whether he does or not, well
we'll see I guess, but that seems to be what Dubya wants.

I'm just wondering whether the many non-US citizens who've been held in
Guantanamo Bay for over 2 year without charge, and who aren't even alleged to
have been responsible for the murder of tens maybe hundreds of thousands of
people, deserve a fair trial in their own country too?

I guess not...

  Rumsfeld claimed that Saddam would be treated as a POW under the Geneva
Convention, but that Convention has already been violated by the endless
broadcasting of humiliating video and photos of Saddam following his capture.

I wonder [Saddam's trial will] be a Just proceeding, in which all evidence can and would be
entered...

"SH, isn't it true you killed thousands of people???  Mass graves and whatnot??"

"Why yes it is, while the US administration was paying me off..."

"Isn't it true you had WoMD???"

"Why yes it is--the ones that the US administration sold me..."

Heh.  The reports I've heard so far go something like this:

"Saddam is said to be cooperating with his interrogators, but he remains defiant
on the issue of WoMD."

Sort of presupposes that Saddam had them, despite the utter failure of the Dubya
administration to find them after months of searching (and after Rumsfeld
asserted that we knew exactly where the WoMD are).  Oh wait, I forgot, the
*real* reason we invaded Iraq was to liberate the Iraqis, right?  That was
always made very clear during the run-up to the war, right?

     Dave!