 Off-Topic / Debate / 21863
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:24:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:
   Realistically, the sole purpose for a corporation to exist is to generate wealth for stockholders. That’s the legal purpose behind the establishment of a corporation; they’re in violation of their fiduciary duty to stockholders to do anything but attempt to create wealth. So it’s sort of like faulting an animal for eating and reproducing--to do aught else goes against their very nature.

Strongly disagree -- as you knew I would. Your statement ignores the social contract that corporations have with the societies that provide them with the fiction that makes any of their business possible in the first place. It is not for nothing that the fiction of the corporate person exists. It is not for nothing that corporations are sometimes given enormous incentives to engage in business in certain places. A society that provides both the means and often the incentive for a corporation to exist absolutely expects revenues to be generated by said corporations for the enrichment of all concerned.

Seriously, how could it be otherwise? This is precisely why you have many people looking at the “bottom line” mentality with a jaundiced eye -- there’s more to a corporation than enriching the stockholders and we all know it.

-- Hop-Frog