 Off-Topic / Debate / 21845
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:51:17 GMT

  If $10 per anum was considered a satisfactory level of payment, then surely a
greater tax (sales tax, etc.) is at least as satisfactory? Indeed, I believe the
proposal suggested that welfare (gleaned from taxes) be provided to the poor so
that they can pay their taxes!

My point is that the *amount* isn't what's at stake, but the participation in
the specific tax--sales tax, income tax, franchise tax, VAT, etc.  Otherwise
we're arguing about magic numbers--if $10 is sufficient, why not $11, etc.--and
that's the old joke:

"Would you sleep with me for $1 million?"
"Sure."
"How about for $1?"
"What do you think I am, a prostitute?"
"We've already established that, we're just dickering on amount!"

since for any amount n, one can persuasively argue for n - 1 or n + 1.

The handing over of currency for the purpose of fulfilling taxation is what
makes citizens responsible for their government.  Once someone on welfare is
given money, it becomes theirs in their mind.  They are parting with something
dear to them, and spending the time required to fulfill that responsibility.

Otherwise it's real easy to get 51% of people to agree to a tax that affects the
other 49%!