 Off-Topic / Debate / 21849
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:17:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:

  If $10 per anum was considered a satisfactory level of payment, then surely a
greater tax (sales tax, etc.) is at least as satisfactory? Indeed, I believe the
proposal suggested that welfare (gleaned from taxes) be provided to the poor so
that they can pay their taxes!

My point is that the *amount* isn't what's at stake, but the participation in
the specific tax--sales tax, income tax, franchise tax, VAT, etc.  Otherwise
we're arguing about magic numbers--if $10 is sufficient, why not $11, etc.--

  All right, but the point remains.  Under my example, the low-wealth person
*is* participating in the tax framework, just as readily as if you'd assigned
some low figure as an appropriate level of taxation.  I don't think it's
material to quibble over *which* particular tax is paid; more specifically, we
weren't discussing (or excluding) any particular tax until this point.

"Would you sleep with me for $1 million?"
"Sure."
"How about for $1?"
"What do you think I am, a prostitute?"
"We've already established that, we're just dickering on amount!"

  Well, you'd have to buy me dinner first, at least.

since for any amount n, one can persuasively argue for n - 1 or n + 1.

  But not if you're conscious of it in the aggregate.  n+10 is not the same as
  ((((((((((n+1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1)

The handing over of currency for the purpose of fulfilling taxation is what
makes citizens responsible for their government.  Once someone on welfare is
given money, it becomes theirs in their mind.  They are parting with
something dear to them, and spending the time required to fulfill that
responsibility.

  I don't think I can accept that.  If you hand me an apple expressly so that I
can hand it back to you, then at no time do I consider it mine, nor do I
perceive it to benefit you or me in any way--it simply exits the equation.
Charity, on the other hand, is given to me by one agency and (possibly) taxed by
another.  If you give me an apple so that I can hand it to Hop-Frog and thereby
pay off my apple-debt, then I am spared the pain of his apple-wrath.  But at
what point would I perceive the apple (or handed-off slice thereof) to be mine?

     Dave!