 Off-Topic / Debate / 21824
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:58:39 GMT

The governor's thinking is flawed.

Charity is absolutely a Christian (and most other religions', at that) value.
The problem is, the government is not a charitable organization.  God wants us
to give money not because He needs it (televangelism aside <g>) but for what the
act of giving does for us.  With paying taxes, you're thrown in jail if you
don't pay.  The vast majority of taxes (state, anyway) pay for education, roads,
tourism advertising, business development, government salaries, state troopers,
et al.--hardly charitable giving.

Or to put my argument another way, spend a Saturday helping build a house for
Habitat for Humanity.  Serve in a soup kitchen.  Volunteer at a nursing home,
Boys and Girls Club, or Scouting program.  Give blood.  Give $10 to a panhandler
on the street, without sneering at his line about needing it for bus fare to go
home.  Give money to a fund for the education of the kids of a police officer
killed in the line of duty.  The high school soccer team who's trying to get to
a tournament in Washington, DC.  The family who took in a foster child with
health problems from his mother's drug use during pregnancy and needs the money
for his medical care.  The Nature Conservancy or a neighborhood association
that's rebuilding a park down the street.  Even (gasp) a church.

Know what?  That felt good.  You, personally, helped someone out using the
fruits of your labor.

Now, look at your pay stub and circle the amount that you paid for taxes.
Multiply it by your number of paychecks in a year.  Write a check for estimated
quarterly taxes.  Fill out your tax return.  Do you get the same feeling as when
you give or do good works?

Best regards,
Carl Nelson
Myfirstname AT MyfirstnameMylastname DOT Com