 Off-Topic / Debate / 21865
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:00:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Strongly disagree -- as you knew I would. Your statement ignores the social contract that corporations have with the societies that provide them with the fiction that makes any of their business possible in the first place. It is not for nothing that the fiction of the corporate person exists. It is not for nothing that corporations are sometimes given enormous incentives to engage in business in certain places. A society that provides both the means and often the incentive for a corporation to exist absolutely expects revenues to be generated by said corporations for the enrichment of all concerned.

Seriously, how could it be otherwise? This is precisely why you have many people looking at the “bottom line” mentality with a jaundiced eye -- there’s more to a corporation than enriching the stockholders and we all know it.

Well-put, and I don’t disagree with the sentiment. After all, I’m supporting a position that good works are a reward in and of themselves without regard to any fiscal gain or loss!

But to be a contrarian, a social contract isn’t enforceable (at least in this world!). All of us would probably agree that a corporation has the responsibility to treat its workers well, be active in its community, and provide a valuable product or service to its consumers. But what if it doesn’t? There’s no recourse, other than for employees to quit, the community to ignore it, and consumers to go elsewhere. (And I’d venture to say that if all three of those happened the company would go under... Smashing! Yay capitalism!)

Best regards, Carl