 Off-Topic / Debate / 21832
Re: Altruism is a bad idea? (was Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:14:49 GMT

feel free to demonstrate that altruism IS a
good idea, if you like... But make sure you're working from the right
definition.

I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like you're working from a Randian definition
of altruism, which is like working from a Falwellian definition of pornography.
I don't know why we'd want to pick that particular slant as the "right"
definition of altruism, except to predispose the argument to favor Objectivism.

For an act to be altruistic:
- the person (or organization) you are aiding must be unworthy of your
charity

  I have trouble with this aspect of your definition.  Why must the recipient be
unworthy?  And by what standard?  And what if you simply have no means of
determining the recipient's relative worthiness?

- you cannot get any personal satisfaction or pleasure from giving the aid

  I agree with this, because it's the logical extension of "the act of giving
cannot give a positive return to the giver."  That's pure B.F. Skinner, IIRC.

- it's better if it's a person that you actively dislike than it be one that
you are related to or friends with.

  Not sure if this is a necessary aspect, and I don't know whether I agree or
disagree, since "better" is kind of a slippery term.  Rather than using "like"
or "dislike" as a gauge, might we suggest simply that it's more purely
altruistic if the giver doesn't know the recipient (or maybe doesn't know who
will be the recipient) of the gift?

Under that definition, altruism, in my view, is a bad idea, as it fosters
incorrect behaviour.

If circumstances drove you to destitution, and the only way that you could
survive (or could ensure  your children's survival) would be to accept
altruistic (by your definition) charity, would you accept it?

     Dave!