 Off-Topic / Debate / 21828
Re: Altruism is a bad idea? (was Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:00:29 GMT

<anip>

Under that definition, altruism, in my view, is a bad idea, as it fosters
incorrect behaviour. Giving money directly to panhandlers that you know nothing
about only gets you more panhandlers. Giving the same money to the Salvation
Army (note that I'm an atheist and I nevertheless favor this) is likely to have
a much more desirable outcome.

If you want to feel good about yourself, find a *worthy* charity for that tenner
burning a hole in your pocket. But if it's worthy, it's not altruism. Altruism
requires selflessness.

Perfectly said, Larry.

Walking down the street years ago, guy says, "Hey, spot me some coin for a
coffee?"

Well, we just happen to be close to a Tim Hortins (Canadian version of 'coffee
shop') and I say to the guy, 'C'mon, I'll buy you one...'

Turns out that (*gasp*), he really didn't want the money for coffee!!  He was
all, "Well, ummm.... actually I need the money for something else."

Eh, I'm on the fence with this one.  Sometimes I throw a loonie in the cup when
I walk by, sometimes I don't.  I don't know where I saw this scene, but I don't
think it was TWW this time ;)

Guy throws a coin into the cup of a pandhandler--buddy says, "What are you
doing, man?  He's just going to blow it on booze or drugs!"

Our guy says, "The guy doesn't have anything to live for--he does his thing to
make it thru the day.  If I can give him some comfort money, even if it's for
booze or drugs, hey, his short meager life is just a little more comfortable."

But like Larry, I think the more you give to the 'street people', the more
street people there will be.

Dave K