 Off-Topic / Debate / 21856
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:31:28 GMT

   Whether or not they spend more or less money than they would if all their properties were in ‘Merry Old England’, is irrelevant--it all balances out.

Ah, the myth of the global economy rears its ugly head! The global economy is only good for people that can move hundreds of millions from a country doing poorly to one that is doing better. If you are not dealing in hundreds of millions then it matters a lot more where people are paying their taxes for the benefits that you provide to them via the govt.

Anyway, that was just to make a smaller point of how natural persons may act vs. corporate fictitious persons, and not for much more. I have less argument with a single family arranging their affairs in order to avoid paying any more in taxes than they absolutely must. Plus, I never claimed the royals were doing anything illegal or that they were provided any unusual or extraordinary benefits as many corporations are thusly “benefitted” in the U.S.

   Should gov’t ‘bail out’ corps? Probably not, imho. It interferes with the market--if the ‘hand of the market’ makes it such that a corp cannot generate revenue to keep the company afloat, then, like ‘market evolution in action’, it’s time for the unfit to perish.

Bail out is only one side of it. Many corporations are given innumerable incentives to merely place their bases of operation within a given jurisdiction. Then they turn around and do stuff like this:

http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/taxhavens2.html

and (as previously posted here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=21814):

Banks Used Investment Funds to Shelter Hundred of Millions From State Taxes

NEW YORK - At least 10 large banks avoided state taxes on hundreds of millions of dollars by setting up investment funds that didn’t offer shares to the public, but instead paid tax-exempt dividends back to the banks, according to a newspaper report.

edit: file under “deal-breakers?” or “how to make money in Shrub’s big business economy -- steal if from your legitimate corporate taxes!” I’d be surprised if anyone even got a slap on the wrist for this stuff, but woe to you petty thieves -- you will do hard time!

This is such a huge problem that atty.s are now considering doing away with privilege if a public good is served by calling out the unethical practices of a corporation. It is absolutely a matter of degree in the offense. More on that anon (in a future post I am still mulling over).

   all that it does is, as someone else said, win the votes of ‘middle America’.

Another myth. There is increasingly only those that barely make enough to meet basic necessities -- and woe to them should a financial crisis arise; and those that are vastly wealthy -- wealthy enough to weather any financial storm. The “middle class”, more truly the lowest classes since it is at least a matter of degrees, are actually more heavily burdened than are the richest classes.

-- Hop-Frog