 Off-Topic / Debate / 21850
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:21:05 GMT

   I find myself understanding your tirade against the corps. That said, whether the corps make their product ‘in country’ or ‘across the seas’, the product is still purchased, and, as such, the taxes gleaned from said product
   end up where the product is purchased. I understand that you would like the corps to pay their ‘fair share’ as well--I agree. But tax money is still
generated, whether the company is in the country or not.

Paying one’s “fair share” is only relevant to WHERE one owes it. I think you are failing to understand precisely why the royal family of England owns so much property in the U.S. -- because it’s cheaper for them here than in their own country! Interestingly, their main participation and benefits derive from England. By owning stuff here, they dodge a tax burden at home.

Corporations that derive their main benefit as U.S. corporations are absolutely expected to pay their “fair share” in the U.S. for a multitude of reasons not the least of which is the benefit of the legal fiction of incorporation. Natural persons like you or I may do as we will without necessity of the law in many cases because we are free as PERSONS by right to contract, at the same time we are also responsible for our debts. By contrast, a corporation isn’t a person to begin with and only gains that fictitious status because of laws allowing “corporations.” An obvious additional benefit is that when the corporation is bust it can just disappear (i.e. declare bankruptcy) still owing debt even while the participants in the corporations (shareholders, if you will) depart with their earnings. That’s why it’s a sweet deal to incorporate and pay yourself a CEO salary from the corporation -- must make the payroll first!

My overall point is that we shouldn’t be granting the status of “person” to corporations dodging their tax and wage creation (i.e. jobs) burdens at home -- they are given innumerable breaks and sometimes even govt. subsidies with the idea that they will create jobs and return money into the system in wages and taxes. Once they have broken that fundamental deal -- hey, screw them!

-- Hop-Frog