 Off-Topic / Debate / 21858
Re: Altruism is a bad idea? (was Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:49:31 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richie Dulin wrote:
   And altruism is a bad idea -snip- and is morally wrong,-snip-

And here I was thinking that “all rights are property rights” was a strange belief.

-snip-

   I grant that the assertion that altruism is a bad idea sounds a bit unusual.

   For an act to be altruistic:
- the person (or organization) you are aiding must be unworthy of your charity
- you cannot get any personal satisfaction or pleasure from giving the aid
- it’s better if it’s a person that you actively dislike than it be one that you are related to or friends with.

Where did that definition come from? Did you make it up by yourself?

It seems to be a very nice definition for your purposes. But wait, you said “it’s better if...” in there! That’s pretty odd for a system determine if an act is to be regarded as altruistic.

Merriam-Webster OnLine gives altruism “1.unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others 2.behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species”

Nothing about unworthiness there. Unselfishness applies to motive, while no personal satisfaction applies to outcome. Nothing about it being better if one doesn’t like the beneficiary.

(Is there a better definition? I’m prepared to accept that M-W is not the best source (it’s just a convenient one)).

How do you determine if the person (or organization) you are aiding is unworthy of your charity?

M-W’s definition of charity is concerned with the giver not the recipient. Worthiness doesn’t seem to come in to it. So you probably need a new definition of charity as well. And maybe worthiness too.

Also, your definition implies that one cannot dislike one’s relatives. This is demonstrably untrue, so you might like to fix that part of the definition of ‘altruistic’ along with the “better if” part when you’re making up the new definitions.

Adieu

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique