 Off-Topic / Debate / 21834
Re: Finally some church/state mingling that I can really get behind!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:23:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Nelson wrote:

Your point also illustrates another fallacy in the governor's reasoning.
IMO, everyone should pay taxes to the government (even if it's only $10 at
low incomes, or even if they're given money through welfare only to pay part
of it back).  Otherwise, a situation is created where people are not
invested (in the emotional as well as financial meaning) in the support of
self-governance.  They have no stake in the cost of it, and therefore no
reason to be concerned with it being efficient or using the money that it
receives well.  So it's another example of something that sounds good in the
short term but doesn't really help anyone out.

  Everyone who buys anything (excepting a few items like food and, in some
cases, clothing) already pays taxes, so this particular fallacy as you frame it
does not exist in the governor's reasoning.

     Dave!