 Off-Topic / Debate / 21823
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:06:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   Ah. But I don’t live in the USA; I live in Scotland (think Whisky, Haggis, Great Scenery & Rain). Where I live only 1 or 2 home-owners are killed by burglars each year. In 2000 there were a total of 64 (sixty-four) handgun offences in Scotland.

Okay... Let me toss out a few numbers to put this a bit more into perspective:

Scotland Population (ca. 1991): 5,102,400 Population Density: 169/sq. mi.

US Population (ca. 2000): 281,421,906 (55x Scotland) Population Density: 80/sq. mi. (0.47x Scotland)

New York City Population (ca. 2000): 9,314,235 (1.8x Scotland) Population Density: 8,159/sq. mi. (48x Scotland)

Chicago Population (ca. 2000): 8,272,768 (1.6x Scotland) Population Density: 1,634/sq. mi. (10x Scotland)

Los Angeles Population (ca. 2000): 9,519,338 (1.9x Scotland) Population Density: 2,344/sq. mi. (14x Scotland)

As you can see, that’s three cities right there that each have almost twice the population of the whole of Scotland, and range from 10x to 48x the population density.

Does that really surprise you? I expect every hamlet, village, town and city on the planet has a greater population density than the whole of Scotland - think about it. Heck, my office has a population density of 200,000 / sq. mi... and there have been no reported murders!

   I couldn’t find any pages that show good stats on violent crimes in all of those areas, but it’s a generally accepted fact that the more densely populated an area is, the higher the per capita rate of violent crime will be. Taking firearms out of the equation isn’t going to stop that. It’s not the weapons that you should be looking at. It’s the reasons for why the crimes were committed in the first place. When people don’t have enough personal space, they’re going to get irritated,

Your analysis above shows that the population density of the USA is less than half of Scotland’s; take a look at the murder rates:

USA: 6.8/100,000

Scotland: less than 2/100,000

This is all irrelevant. My point was that in Scotland the risk of being killed by a burglar is millions to one. I expect I’m more likely to get struck by lightning.... I feel no need for either a lightning conductor or a gun to protect myself.

Your argument appears to be that a high population density results in a high murder rate. Think about Japan:
  1. The population density is ~1162 per square mile. (14.5 x the USA.)
  2. The murder rate is 1/100,000 (16.1% of the USA rate.)
Does Japan have “gun control”?

   and eventually some of them are going to get violent (and with 80% of the US population living in metropolitan areas, that’s a lot of cranky people).

Why not show us that Scotland is different to support your argument?

   If they don’t have guns, they’ll use knives. If they don’t have knives, they’ll use blunt objects. If they don’t have blunt objects, noone will be able to play baseball anymore and I can pretty much guarantee that won’t fix anything.

   If handgun ownership were deregulated here, I expect both numbers would rise.

In the United States there are laws to prevent convicted felons from obtaining firearms, but there’s enough of a demand for black market sources that it doesn’t prevent it from happening.

Do you think the black market is fuelled by the 500,000 guns stolen each year in the USA? Do you think that the right to gun ownership should come with the responsibility to protect the gun from theft or misuse? It does in the UK.

   The most hardened criminals would likely not be affected by laws prohibiting ownership of handguns or even firearms in general. Yes, crimes committed with a firearm would probably go down quite a bit, but if potential burglers knew they had little to fear in the way of gun-toting homeowners, I suspect B&E crimes would go up. I also suspect that total murder rates wouldn’t change drastically, as various forms of melee weapons would still be legal.

Anyways, last I heard, handguns were completely banned in the UK in 1998, so the fact that you had a whopping 64 offenses involving “non-existent” handguns is actually pretty bad. In fact, the BBC News reported two years ago that crimes involving handguns rose 40% in the two years following the ban.

No, it sounds like research undertaken by the UK’s “gun lobby”. Do you think some of those crimes were for illegal ownership of previously legal weapons?

   Sounds about as successful as our little stint with Prohibition.

As I said, handgun crimes are lower now than they were 10 years ago.

   People don’t usually like being told that they’re no longer allowed to do something that they’ve been doing for all their lives.

I live in a mature democracy that is able to make these choices.

   It’s a different matter entirely if it’s something they’ve never considered doing before, but if they’ve grown accustomed to it...

One other thing that you have to consider is that in the US, if the 2nd Amendment is repealed, the entire Bill of Rights will no longer be seen as inviolable,

That comment is based on your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. ;)

   and there is a great concern that the 1st Amendment will be next, and then the domino effect will set in.

Tell that to:
  1. the parents of the >10 kids who are killed by guns in the USA each day.
  2. all those the USA is holding without trial or charge right now.
Scott A