 Off-Topic / Debate / 13537
Re: Fatwah
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:06:49 GMT

http://www.ict.org.il/articles/fatwah.htm

I hadn't read this before. I also haven't read the Koran (there seem to be
many possible spellings of this, I've also seen Qu'urran, for example)

But this quote from the beginning of the fatwah HAS to be taken out of
context, right?

"But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the pagans
wherever ye find them, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them
in every stratagem (of war)"

I also dunno about the context thing, but further down in the article
"Crusaders" are mentioned to be "terrorizing" the people living in Arabia.
Obviously, it is an interpretation made by people who must think the 12th
century isn't over yet (or that the western aproach to Islamic nations is
yet the one of the 12th century). I know this was symbolic language, but it
is expressive nevertheless.
Never mind these quotes. These guys would do anything to rally the people
into their "holy" war... even ill-minded interpretations of a holy text.
Manipulative and mean - what a surprise.
:-(

Pedro