 Off-Topic / Debate / 14745
Re: Slur used in Libertarian fliers (was Re: Fatwah)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:39:44 GMT

I'm not saying it (the Libertarian Party) is racist.
That proves he's not particularly libertarian, then. Small parties do
sometimes have to take what they can get at local levels but I'd support his
ouster.

Unfortunately these sorts of organizational issues give ammo to foamers
drawing conclusions that are far too broad.

Hmm. Getting rid of critics by calling them names? Are you really an adult?

By the way, the phrase in question is derived from a work that is far older
which also used it for shock value.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sovereigntylibrary/0303%20soccriticismlibrary/030301studentasnigger.html

not sure what side of the aisle this author was on. Note that this word is
one that it's apparently OK for some to say but not for others.

Use of the term in this case in the way it was used (I can't be sure, but I
suspect, since I haven't seen the pamplet in question) is indicative of poor
judgement

"poor judgement" which the LP supports.

And that is not just my view:

Racist rhetoric creates negative environment
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2001/09/09-11-01tdc/09-11-01dops-letter-4.asp
==+==
Despite his claim that his intentions were innocent, I can't understand how
he thought his message would be conveyed as appropriate rather than cruel.
If his objectives were so incorrectly interpreted, why hasn't he or the
political party [the Libertarian Party] he represented issued a retraction?

Although few may support it, the vast majority of the community sees nothing
but racist intent in the literature.
==+==