 Off-Topic / Debate / 13646
Re: Fatwah
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 12:00:20 GMT

There are somewhere between 1.25 and 2.0 billion Muslims on the planet.

I had heard 1.0 B, or 1/5 (which is 1.2 and increasing I guess)...

am lucky enough to know some of them. I read the sliver of text you quoted.
I think about my experiences. I think about my understanding of Islam. Based
on that alone I believe that the text you quoted was out of context. There
are only two real places where I see text like that quoted out off context:

1. From the likes of OBL
2. Hate sites.
(1)

What do you (or, most especially, others) think of this:

Larry you failed to answer my question:

"Where you seriously questioning that the text may have been out of context,
or was this just a troll?"

Answer please? This thread, your membership of a white mans club and your
new found respect for the Italian PM is makinging me worry about you. Some
of what you quote below is pure xenophobia. What are you trying to prove?

I need to qualify this a little. The "white man's club" refers to the LP.
This issue was covered well in a post made by Dave Schuler some time ago:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10873

Scott A

Scott A

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-dreher100801.shtml

It seems to be advancing a number of arguments that taken together say that
islam is NOT peaceful, or at least its adherents don't seem to be peaceful,
at least some of the time.

Some of the points this article makes include:

- many muslims believe in honor killings
- no islamic society grants equal rights to women
- muslims seem to be "far more involved" in intergroup violence than the norm
- there is a deep thread of intolerance of non believers among many Muslims

I can't reconcile this with the muslims I know. They all seem peaceful. But
(as with the Lebanese christians cited at the end who spoke of their muslim
neighbors), they all DO support charities that eventually support terrorists
if you follow the links through.

Here's my point, I guess.

I can tolerate anything in others except intolerance. If muslims ultimately
can't tolerate me, I can't tolerate them either. And that applies to
christians and jews and atheists and communists and fascists too. (Free
marketers, by definition, aren't intolerant of me.).

1 - I dunno if NR is a "hate site" or not, that seems a broad and ultimately
less than useful label.

++Lar