 Off-Topic / Debate / 13715
Re: Slur used in Libertarian fliers (was Re: Fatwah)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:57:49 GMT

I'm not saying it (the Libertarian Party) is racist.

And this guy agrees:
Libertarian party candidate drops from race
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2001/09/09-07-01tdc/09-07-01dnews-11.asp

  Hey!  My alma mater!  The Daily Collegian is hardly a bastion of
politically independent news reporting, but it must also be said that the
Libertarian party has no serious presence in State College, and, while
Heicklen is certainly a bonehead, his methods and views were (when I was at
PSU) denounced by many (of the few) local Libertarians.  It's also
significant that a 67-year-old white, upper middle male would admit using
the word "nigger" for shock value and then act surprised when the shock
doesn't take the form he'd hoped. He's not really representative of the
party as a whole, but he is indicative of what Larry has previously termed
Libertarian Macho Flash.  Heicklen is a showboat with an axe to grind and
uses the public forum (as is obviously his right) to stir up attention for
himself without adding anything new to the debate.
  As a demonstration of his level-headedness, few years back Heicklen threw
himself on the floor of a Wal-Mart as some kind of protest when they
wouldn't allow him to solicit on their property:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1999/03/03%2D15%2D99tdc/03%2D15%2D99dnews%2D10.asp

I know first hand that the Wal-Mart in question is posted "no solicitors" in
the manner of many private businesses, so I don't know why Heicklen, a
nominal Libertarian, would have chosen to disregard Wal-Mart's property
rights in this matter.  However, I absolutely support Heicklen's right to
stand at the main, public intersection in State College for his weekly
pro-marijuana rallies.
  In any case, while I've stated previously that the Libertarian Party's
demographic makeup is worth wondering about, Heicklen's shenanigans cannot
be taken as indicative of a problem with the entire party--just some of its
members.

     Dave!