 Off-Topic / Debate / 13669
Re: Fatwah
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:04:41 GMT

Lets take a quick look at www.lp.org

Take a look at this band-wagon:

http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?function=view&record=538
Tennessee bus hijacking shows need for 50-state concealed-carry gun laws

"Early Wednesday, a Croatian man used a box cutter to slash the throat of a
Greyhound bus driver just outside Manchester, Tennessee."

  Hmm.  I don't think it's accurate to call this a band-wagon episode,
unless we're accusing the LP of jumping on its *own* bandwagon.  Whatever
else can be said of the LP, they've been entirely consistent in their views
regarding the right to bear concealed arms.  As a counterpoint, however,
Greyhound is entirely within its rights, as a private corporation, to
restrict arms on board their own property (guns as well as box cutters).

What does the fact that he is Croatian have to do with anything? It is
nothing more than xenophobic. Shame on them.

  You are correct that there is no need to point out that the slasher was
Croatian, unless something inherent in Croatian heritage predisposes one to
slashing bus driver's throats.  On the other hand, if the slasher had been
Canadian, they probably would have said the same thing.  I don't know that
it necessarily implies xenophobia (though, in the context of perception re:
Libertarian demographics, it may be a problem), since it can be viewed
simply as an additional descriptor of the attacker.  If I were to pick
someone's pocket while strolling the streets of Kenya, I wouldn't consider
it xenophobic for someone to identify me as "that white guy who robbed me."
  What description, in such a case, is appropriate?  Why not say simply that
the driver's throat was slashed, thereby eliminating the need to identify an
attacker by any potentially xenophobic adjective?

     Dave!