 Off-Topic / Debate / 13551
Re: Fatwah
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 14:35:59 GMT

http://www.ict.org.il/articles/fatwah.htm

I hadn't read this before. I also haven't read the Koran (there seem to be
many possible spellings of this, I've also seen Qu'urran, for example)

But this quote from the beginning of the fatwah HAS to be taken out of
context, right?

What do you think? Are you even unsure? What is your hunch on this?

I'm NOT sure, hence I asked.

There are somewhere between 1.25 and 2.0 billion Muslims on the planet.  I
am lucky enough to know some of them. I read the sliver of text you quoted.
I think about my experiences. I think about my understanding of Islam. Based
on that alone I believe that the text you quoted was out of context. There
are only two real places where I see text like that quoted out off context:

1. From the likes of OBL
2. Hate sites.

Where you seriously questioning that the text may have been out of context,
or was this just a troll?

From http://www.unn.ac.uk/societies/islamic/islam/oth.htm
==+==
According to the Quran every human being is honored just by virtue of being
human before people are even categorized in terms of creed or breed. The
Quran says "We have honored the children of Adam, provided them with
transport on land and sea, and conferred on them special favors above a
great part of our creation." (17:70) Islam emphasizes the oneness of
Humanity as a family. "O mankind: fear your Guardian Lord who created you
from a single self and created -out of it- its mate, and made from them
twain scattered (like seeds) countless men and women." (4:1) All people are
equally eligible for the basic human rights, including the right to freely
chose one's religion without coercion, for within Islam the space of the
"other" is well preserved and protected. Islam is not an exclusive religion,
and no human being, clergy or otherwise, is ever permitted to set limits on
God's mercy and forgiveness, or to speak on His behalf in assigning rewards
or punishment. The ultimate judge is God Himself.. "your return in the end
is toward Allah.. He will tell you the truth of the things wherein you
disputed." (6:164)
==+==

Scott A

My hunch is that you can go rooting through the New Testament, or especially
the Old Testament, and find similar passages. My hunch is that you can go
through the Koran or OT or NT and find very peaceful passages that advocate
tolerance and turning the other cheek too. (These are large books with many
voices in them, whatever your beliefs about who ultimately authored them)

But all of that does not make a particular religion or sect peaceful or
warlike per se.

We have in the past argued whether christianity was flawed based on the
actions of some professed christians, and the current christians said that
those actions were not representative of christianity, not performed by
actual christians.

Some muslim clerics and voices are saying the same thing now. Yet some other
clerics are saying the opposite. Who is right about Islam?

Maybe this can't be answered here.

But I thought the cite to the Fatwah was useful nonetheless.

To who?

Scott A