 Off-Topic / Debate / 13538
Re: Hold your fire?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 23:28:55 GMT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,3604,564137,00.html

Is (was?) this analysis correct? What do people think? Is today's action
likely to undermine any Taliban crumbling, or is it more of a "take out the
air defenses so the aid aircraft won't get shot down" that won't strengthen
Taliban resolve?

   The article seems a bit myopic, lacking in a historical perspective.  The
basically tribal societies of Afghanistan and indeed the five central Asian
former Soviet states could continue see-sawing for centuries.  The U.S.
and Osama conflict upset things and I don't believe we'd be seeing the
fall of the Taliban for many years had the U.S. not acted.  What will happen
next is still of course open to speculation but the status quo could have
continued in the entire region for many years, as is typical of tribal
societies.

   tom