 Off-Topic / Debate / 10167
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 19:45:39 GMT

I've been trying to resist chiming in on this topic, but I wanted to add my
two cents and share a recent experience with a local church.

A few months back there was a post in the LUGNET local Atlanta Georgia (USA)
newsgroup from a person looking to borrow a large about of bricks. I
responded to here out of curiosity. I found out that she was with Roswell
Presbyterian church in my hometown and they were doing an “in church family
retreat” with the theme of connectivity. They wanted to set up a LEGO room
as one of the activities.

Now I’m not Presbyterian, but I was familiar with this church since my
family’s church was across the street. I did like the idea of using the
bricks to encourage the families to do activities together. So I lent them
the bricks not really on a spiritual basis, but more on a “promote the joy
of family building with LEGO bricks” basis. Also there was a bit of
shameless promotion for the club, since the church bulletin stated that the
bricks were on loan from the North Georgia LEGO Train Club. It didn’t state
that any club members were Presbyterian, didn’t say that we believed there
church was better than other churches, just that I loan them the bricks.

I didn’t really see any hidden agenda in the program, I don’t believe the
bricks were used to promote one religious philosophy over another, it was
just a way to get family members to “connect” with each other, and that is
one of the founding goals of the NGLTC.

Maybe since the MICHLUG’s event is a fundraiser different thought processes
apply, I don’t know. I do know that I am working with some groups in my
county to make the NGLTC more community active, what I really want to do is
put on a mini-“great create” for some of the “under privileged” children in
our area that probably never have had the joy of being exposed to LEGO, and
just let them play for a afternoon. We’ll see how that goes, but I’m all for
promoting the hobby of “building with LEGO bricks”.

jt

------
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club