 Off-Topic / Debate / 10117
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 19:39:00 GMT

Warning, semantic slicing and dicing ahead. :-)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

Based on what I've seen of your interactions with various christians here,
specifically on issues where religion or belief have strong relevance(1),
you appear to fairly consistently hold a stance that their belief or faith
is not valid (or perhaps, less valid) because it doesn't hold up to critical
thinking.

I would agree except to say that it should read "is not valid for me" or "I
cannot accept it as valid within my framework".

Hmm, OK.  I'm not certain that the distinction is relevent most of the time
unless you're actually in a debate about perceptions of reality, but I'll
grant it to you anyway. :)  (although taking this any farther is *really*
splitting hairs)

I may be misreading you here, but that sounds like a bias.  Not, I grant
you, a bias that appears to interfere with impartial judgement, but still a
bias.

I don't think that's a bias, but I am willing to posit it as such as long as
the key point stands... it doesn't interfere with (my) impartial judgement.
I put great stock in my reputation among critical thinkers here (1) and
would not be pleased to be thought not to have impartial judgement.

I think that your judgement is generally impartial, but I also think you
have a tendency (like many of us, I hasten to point out) to skip right to
the end of a debate when you've seen it a few times before.  This can fairly
easily be mistaken for a snap judgement, especially by someone who isn't
very familiar with the sheer volume of () in .debate.

Helps? I think your clarification did...

Ya.

1 - it is left as an exercise to the reader to discern what I care about my
reputation with those who are not critical thinkers.

Not much of an excercise, I don't even need to work on it at home... ;)

James