 Off-Topic / Debate / 10157
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 16:45:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tony Hedglen writes:

It's not a matter of money or even of personal religious views; it's a
desire not to have the club seen to represent a particular faith or agenda
if it does not in fact represent that faith or agenda.  If the club as a
whole (or as a majority) decides not to support a particular organization,
so be it.  If, for example, the Libertarian Party wanted the club to appear
at its Convention, and if the club voted not to participate, I have no doubt
that Larry would support the club's decision, even if he didn't agree with
it personally.

I will reply to you. Dave! I don’t know where you came from. The questions I
asked were for Larry not you. You jump in here like you’re a part of
something. If Michlug decided to put a show on for the KKK. I would not go.
I’m not going to make a big deal out of it. I wouldn’t care to be in that
environment. But I am not going to run around and dictate what the club can
or cannot do. I just simply will not go. You jump in here and make
insignificant points about something stupid. The issue is Larry dictating
what the club will do. Not whether or not it is appropriate to use the
Michlug “logo”. Using the Michlug “logo” dose not matter to me. I could care
less if we use it or not. I just would like to have an impressive display to
show people. If Larry is not comfortable in a Christian environment then all
he has to say is he will not go. And leave it at that. Not to dictate what
the club will or will not do. That is the point that everyone is failing to
see. And Larry is failing to admit.  Now you and your cronies can debate
whether or not Larry tries to make people do what he wants. Have fun!

  Tony:
  As you may be aware, anyone on LUGNET can become involved in any
discussion on LUGNET, within the strictures of the relevant posting groups.
Since .debate is an off-topic forum, and since the .debate is about larger
issues than your club (though they're issues your club has been forced to
deal with), I defy you to provide a reason why anyone with an opinion on the
subject should not respond.  I couldn't care less about your particular
club, any more than I would expect you to care about a club to which I
belong.  However, the issue of endorsing a particular agenda or
philosophical viewpoint is certainly ripe material for debate.
  It's not even a matter of whether or not Larry is uncomfortable in a
Christian environment; he (as he as indicated) is not comfortable having the
MICHLUG club being perceived as a representative or affiliate with a
particular group, especially if a group's agendas are in conflict with the
views of one, some, or all of the club members.
  Can you understand that MICHLUG's presence at a religious function can be
perceived as an endorsement of that religous function?  Can you also
understand that some members of MICHLUG don't want their club to be
perceived to offer such an endorsement?  You state that you wouldn't attend
a KKK function at which MICHLUG made an appearance--but would you be
comfortable if MICHLUG were perceived by the public as an endorser or
sponser of the KKK?  Though the ideologies of the religious group and the
KKK are vastly different, the point (that some club members don't want the
club perceived to sponser a group with a particular agenda) is the same for
both.
  The catalyst of this debate is MICHLUG's yea-or-nay to attending the
religious function, but that's not the esssence of the debate.  If you can't
or don't or choose not to see that, I really don't care, because the issue
remains, external to MICHLUG's actions.

     Dave!