 Off-Topic / Debate / 10173
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 21:34:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tony Hedglen writes:
Okay Dave,

Now let’s talk about freedom. Clubs in the United States are FREE to do what
they wish. If the club is a private club then it should be FREE to endorse
what ever it chooses. If the club wants to reject members it has every right
to do so. If a member dose not like how the club is ran, then they have the
freedom to leave. I don’t think it’s right to dictate anything.

That is right.  However, I have seen at least 3 people post saying that they
are not 100% about MichLUG _as a club_ doing this show.  This is not limiting
your options, go form Mich_Cath_LUG if you really want to, that would acchive
the same goals.  (and you wouldn't have us annoying non-catholics to deal
with :).  But, you are not proposing to form a club, or even a subset of the
club, to do this show.  You are proposing to take the whole lot with you, the
reputation of MichLUG, to this show.  Now, when Larry wants to take it to the
Libertarian Congress, or Joe X wants to take it to the KKK meeting rally to
rase money for _there_ project, you have backed your _club_ into a corner.  Not
yourself, as you do have the total freedom of not participating in an event.
But, since you have "voted with your feet", that it is acceptable for some
members to have more say than others ("all of us are equal, just some are more
equal than others"), then what happens when someone wants to do a show which
you are opposed to?  They have the same rights as you do to represent
themselves as MichLUG, and you have already muddled the waters by holding one
political/religious show without unanimous consent.

If you have
a thought that everyone can be equal then you are dreaming. Nobody is equal
to another. Which means any environment is not going to comfortable all the
time. Everyone has a different point of view than the other. Which means
again there is no equality. So the thought of creating a club that will be
comfortable to all members is a false idea. People have to compromise in
order to get along. If the compromise is unacceptable then there is always
the freedom to leave the club.

Right, use that above right, and hold your show.  That's what Larry, Dave and
myself are telling you.  You don't _have_ to represent MichLUG to hold this
show, there is nothing saying that _you must represent MichLUG_ to get in the
door.  Do your show, as a bunch of Catholic/Christian people who are happy to
support your religion.  Just don't try to say that you are not supporting your
religion, or that it is not a religious activity.

James Powell