Re: MichLUG Items in Debate not Appropriate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 02:13:00 GMT

For what it's worth, here's my opinion on this:

1. I don't have a problem with flying the MichLUG banner at the event.  I
don't have a problem with not flying the MichLUG banner.  What I have a
problem with is the tone of this debate and the fact that all we have is
people's representations of what is a minority or a majority.  If we're
going to wade into these waters we need a clear definition of membership and
a voting procedure.  On the other hand, I think we need to rely on consensus
more that majority vote for the future of the club.  In building consensus,
though, we still need to know who is involved.

2. I am particularly disturbed by inappropriately strong reactions by people
on both sides of this debate, people who have contributed greatly to the
group in the past.  I think we need to moderate emotions here.  This
discussion makes me more hesitant to participate with the group in any kind
of event, if I'm running the risk of this kind of reaction from group
members.  Please consider, again, the future of the group when presenting
your arguments.  Amy and Chris, I thank you in particular for your
clear-headed and measured tone here.  Let's not jeopardize our ability to
work together!

3. Another thing that bothers me about this debate is that some individuals
seem to be putting a heavy emphasis on the club's economic value.  I saw
this at GATS and I've been seeing it in a number of posts in michlug.

I don't give a rat's anything about making money, so long as we can
guarantee the stability of the club.  I don't want to see us limiting our
options based on our self-perceived value, or ability to draw, or anything
else.  I want to see us build as much as possible and display as often as
possible.  I will work with this club because a) I like to show off, b) I
like to build the Lego fan base, and c) I like to bring a little bit more
joy into the world.  You can call that naive, but in regards to our club I
don't really give <insert word of choice here> about anything beyond those
three things.  This is not a business and it never should be a business.  We
build because we love to build and we show because we love to show.  Beyond
that, we make sure nobody takes advantage of us, and we'll be fine.

4. Tony, I still want to participate, so keep me in the loop.  First couple
weekends in July would be best for me--between the sci-fi convention and
GATS Grand Rapids.  The two weekends after GATS I will be away, and then
after that is good again.  I'll mainly be using GATS and SF stuff there.
And guys, I may not go to GATS, but I'll have some buildings.

'Nuf said.
Peter
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Well, since I am a laughing stock to the community now

You are not.

I, for one, do not have a problem with the club "flying the banner" at a
Catholic event, though I'm not Catholic, but I think it's a reasonable request
that the club not do so. Since we make decisions by consensus, I also think it'd
be reasonable if the club decided to "fly the banner", anyway, over the
objection of individuals.

I also think it'd be reasonable if the club "flew the banner" at a Jewish,
Muslim, Hindi, Libertarian or KKK event, if that's what the consensus was. Why?
Because I think we're reasonable people and wouldn't consent to something
unreasonable. And I'm confident we wouldn't agree to "fly the banner" at a KKK
event.

That's the key, I think. Individuals might decide they wanted to do a KKK even,
but we wouldn't likely let them "fly the Michlug banner" there. On the other
hand, we might decide to do so at a Catholic event, and I wouldn't have a
problem with it.

I'd like to do the Catholic event for the same reason I want to do GATS: it'd be
fun. I'll do it with or without the Michlug name.

About the TLC donation: it'd be reasonable to offer TLC the option of not making
a donation for a religiously-oriented event. But their contribution to the GATS
show does not indicate support for anything else we do, and they might just
decide that a donation to a Catholic event was justifiable, anyway, either
because they wanted to support the cause or because they believed it furthered
their purpose regardless of the religious nature of the event. Their decision,
not ours.

Make no mistake - the Catholic event will cost me money. For one, I don't live
near Lansing. I can justify this expense as entertainment, but if someone else
considers it a donation to a Catholic cause, that's okay. I'm Christian, though
not Catholic. I'm not offended. I don't see how this costs "the club" anything,
though.

Amy