 Off-Topic / Debate / 10136
10135  |  10137
Subject:
MichLUG Items in Debate not Appropriate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 04:01:51 GMT

To All,

FUT to lugnet.org.us.michlug

I am posting this to debate once, I will not follow through to it here (And
if you don't like it, too bad), so if you want to respond to specific
MichLUG items, please place it there in orgs.michlug. Otherwise, please
leave MichLUG's items where they belong, not here. If you don't, don't
except me to follow through. I really could care less what people who are
not part of our group have to say.

First of all, I will not chill, whoever said it in this thread, especially
when it comes to this whole issue being in debate in the first place. If
people ever wondered why I stopped posting here, this is a good reason.

A week ago, my good friend Tony asked if we (MichLUG) would consider
displaying a LEGO town or whatever at his church. I thought, cool, another
place to display, and after the disappointing GATS announcement of a small
setup, I thought this was ideal. After Chris posted this idea, most people
were more than happy to do it, with no thought on issues, until Larry voiced
his opinion about how it would make MichLUG "endorse" this religion (Look
ath this thread at the beginning). I disagree with this assessment
wholeheartedly,and I think it is a pretty funny thing to bring up since no
one at MichLUG endorse anything, much less a pactcular religion or whatever.
MichLUG is a PRIVATE group, who is not any government agency, not funded by
any government or public funds, and is simply a place where people in
greater Michigan can have a group to do things with. I think we can go where
we please, and if some people in the group do not like it, like Larry, feel
free to stay at home. This whole thing is stupid to argue about.

Then, James Powell, which as far as I know, never was part of our club, puts
it in debate, and start a whole debate on clubs endorsing religions or
whatever. Then we get into dbating what a clubs purpose is, and how everyone
seems to say that clubs should not participate in any activity that might be
contrived at endorsing it. Well, how about this, since I disagree with GATS
objectives, I feel all LTC's should not participate in them, because of
their support of GATS ideals. Heh, pretty silly, huh?

This is just another attempt to drown out any kind of religious tone
anywhere, and MichLUG is comprised of people that really don't care for the
most part one way or another. No one cared until Larry posted something
about it, and someone else who is not even part of our group put it in debate.

I am extremely upset about this whole situation, and turned a little event
which is a goodwill gesture simply to have fun and display our LEGO items
into a political debate on the merits of doing anything as a group, with the
potential of making someone upset. And the fact now MichLUG will have to do
everyone's religious whatever because of it is not factual as far as I know
or am concerned. It is a silly argument, and one that should be left for the
group, not a bunch of people who have nothing to do with the group that
still seem to think they can dictate what we will do, or not do.

This whole incident has turned into a big nightmare, and a lot oof MichLUG
members are very concerned about the turnout of this. I will not mention
names here, because I am concerned enough for our group.

I want to personally thank each one of you that has turned this into what it
is, a nightmare for MichLUG members, who simply wanted to display our stuff,
using the group we formed. And a big thanks to you, Larry, for starting all
this stuff, making it into a political discussion, and almost destroying
what we want to do. I thought I had a low opinion of this debate to begin
with, but I am finding it is deeper now than ever. Thank you all. > : (

FUT lugnet.org.us.michlug or ssanburn@cleanweb.net

Sincerely,
Scott S.