 Off-Topic / Debate / 10115
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 18:53:09 GMT

Warning, semantic slicing and dicing ahead. :-)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:

Based on what I've seen of
your interactions with various christians here, specifically on issues where
religion or belief have strong relevance(1), you appear to fairly
consistently hold a stance that their belief or faith is not valid (or
perhaps, less valid) because it doesn't hold up to critical thinking.

I would agree except to say that it should read "is not valid for me" or "I
cannot accept it as valid within my framework". I acknowledge that others do
find it valid. I judge *them* only on outcomes, not intent or internal
consistency.

I may
be misreading you here, but that sounds like a bias.  Not, I grant you, a
bias that appears to interfere with impartial judgement, but still a bias.

I don't think that's a bias, but I am willing to posit it as such as long as
the key point stands... it doesn't interfere with (my) impartial judgement.
I put great stock in my reputation among critical thinkers here (1) and
would not be pleased to be thought not to have impartial judgement.

Helps? I think your clarification did...

1 - it is left as an exercise to the reader to discern what I care about my
reputation with those who are not critical thinkers.

++Lar