 Off-Topic / Debate / 10185
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:00:17 GMT

I am trying to let this all slide by, because, by my read of the traffic in
.michlug, there is a consensus among the MICHLUG members that have spoken up
on the specific issue. That consensus is exactly what I hoped it would be...

It is not appropriate for MICHLUG *as a club* to support fundraising by a
religious organization when those funds are to be used for
missionary/conversion work, but is is perfectly fine for individual members
to do so and a number of them plan to in fact do just that.

This is the consensus view. Although Tony and Scott hold different views,
they are in the minority. It is time for them to realise that a consensus
has been reached, and stop this disruptive discourse.

Most of what Tony has said I am ignoring because it is rather far afield
from this specific point and demonstrates an inability, or unwillingness, to
keep the scope narrow. But this particular statement deserves some comment:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tony Hedglen writes:

I was accusing Larry of dictating what the club
can or cannot do.

I understand now (where I did not before) that you and Scott are in fact
accusing me of this. I deny it. Most strenouously.

I think my statements and actions bear out that I have done no such thing. I
have voiced an opinion and asked for consensus. That consensus has been
reached and should be abided by. Further, I think it is a destructive charge
to make in the first place.

I would charge instead that the people "dictating" what the club can or
cannot do are those who tried to get the club to do something without
thinking about the issues and who, when faced with consensus that what they
wanted to do is not appropriate are now slinging wild accusations about in
order to obfuscate the issue.

I think that behaviour is disruptive and ought to stop. (1)

Finally...

So the last point is that Larry is debating on
something according to his own feelings, Not on the issue as a whole.

This is false. My feelings have little or nothing to do with it, as has been
explained multiple times, by me and by others. This charge, too, is
disruptive and ought to stop.

1 - not HAS TO, mind you, just OUGHT TO. That's the beauty of .debate, it is
more tolerant of ranting. But please keep it OUT of other groups.

++Lar

I will apologize once more to you Larry. I didn’t realize you were voicing
your opinion about this. I took it as ordering the club to do something.
Some how I wish we could vote on whether or not we should use the Michlug
“logo”. But before we go that far what do you think about my thought below.

I did have a thought last night. What would you say if my church paid
Michlug to be there? Would that change things? In that since the club would
be getting paid to do something. (Providing a service) What do you think
about that? In that case the club would have to show its “logo” because its
getting paid to be there.