 Off-Topic / Debate / 10114
Re: A Lego display fund raiser
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2001 18:38:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tony Hedglen writes:
<snip>

I think you're misreading Larry here - although to be fair, Larry does seem
to have an anti-christian bias.

Can we dig into that a bit? What anti-christian bias? :-)

Sure. :)

Seriously. I'm not biased. At least I don't *think* I am.

Hmm.  Bias is perhaps the wrong term for it - I've never seen you reacting
to a christian in a neutral environment, so I can't accurately call it bias,
I suppose.  More after the definition...

From this cite: http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=bias
I selected the def I think applies:

2. Usage Problem.
     a. A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits
        impartial judgment.
     b. An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice.

I guess I have a preference but I don't think it inhibits impartial
judgement. Further I do nothing unfair to christians that I know of, and set
no policies.

Dictionary.com's definition (esp. their examples) is a little strong for how
I commonly use bias, but it does approximate it.  Based on what I've seen of
your interactions with various christians here, specifically on issues where
religion or belief have strong relevance(1), you appear to fairly
consistently hold a stance that their belief or faith is not valid (or
perhaps, less valid) because it doesn't hold up to critical thinking.  I may
be misreading you here, but that sounds like a bias.  Not, I grant you, a
bias that appears to interfere with impartial judgement, but still a bias.

As I mentioned though, I find the dictionary.com definition a bit strong...
I would call a bias that "inhibits impartial judgment" a prejudice, not
merely a bias.

James

1:evolution vs creation, nature of man, morality, among others.