 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1652
Re: UPDATE: Re: Weeks Box - round two (...no, really!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:01:06 GMT

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Well, I just go the box back yesterday and just looked through it today.  I
have to say that I am less than enthused.

Hmm...

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Tamyra Teed writes:

Well this makes me wonder because all the parts I put in were brand new, I • just
opened the box and dumped into brand new baggies.

There are a couple of those still there.

Yep, I saw most of them...

And there was only one other person between us :( I noticed from
looking at the pics there doesn't seem to be much of what I put
in there.  I didn't think the box could get grungy that fast :(

I guess it can.  Did the box go to anyone that was not on the list?  Anyone at
all?

Not that I can think of...?

I'm beginning to wonder if I mixed up the smoky box with something else
(Shiri
- who did the box I brought the JB in come from before me - you didn't get

Several items that came back were in it when I sent it out, so I don't think
it's possible that it got mixed up.

It definitely had Tamy's return address, i remember it clearly.

probably mostly just horribly over-reacting based on the baggies and the fact
that so many of the minifigs are missing hands and arms. The past several

What's the deal with the minifigs?  Is there some use for hands that I've not
heard of?  Why are half the figs missing their hands?  And how will they ever
be any good to anyone without the hands?

Actually, I took a few pairs of hands - they were in useful colors. But
there were minifigs missing before, IIRC, and plus, I'm pretty sure I put in
yellow hands back; are they not there? I'm not sure if I actually *put* the
hands on the minifigs, but I *think* I dumped in a few pairs in the bag...
or maybe I have reeeeeally faulty memory. I'll definitely be more aware of
that next time, and I'm sorry if I caused trouble. If you wanna tell me how
many yellow hands are missing, I can send you a few...

I'm having a tough time deciding what went wrong and what the appropriate
response is.  It seems like the Jambalaya thing is at best a marginal success
-- unless the point is to distribute cool stuff and not expect a fair trade in
return.

I dunno, that's a tough question. It's hard to have everyone pleased. I was
kinda disappointed myself, but the things I took vs. the ones I put back
were worth the deal, I think. That is to say, I put back things useless to *me*.

<small snip>

Has anyone any ideas on how to better assure that particpants will play nice?

I don't know. It really depends on what your definition of "play nice" *is*.
It's hard to make sure you're giving back a fair trade, because parts really
*are* worth different values to different people.

<snip>

Shiri: posted some pics on 1 Jan 2001 which basically, told what she was
taking, if not what she added. (though, I think I know from looking at the
contents.)

Oh right, I did forget to put that in the post... I'm sorry. I can't really
remember, but there were figs and wheels included there, plus other things.
<kicking myself for not posting at the time>

I'm curious about how each of you handled this aspect of it.  I basically
eye-ball my trades, but I also tend to over-pay and I think that I know the
value of current elements pretty well.  (Though, I'm totally struggling to get
a handle on train parts now.)

I did the same - mainly eye-balled the trades. They seemed pretty fair to
me, I took a kabaya set, a few pairs of hands, and a few (fairly common)
weapons and animals. The kabaya set seemed worth the most, and I put in
things that I thought matched up. I don't think I overpaid, but I would
think I put fair-value things back.

Hope this helps, and LMK about those hands.

-Shiri