 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1650
Re: UPDATE: Re: Weeks Box - round two (...no, really!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:17:11 GMT

Mookie wrote:
I agree it's hard to know what to value some things. Though there are many ways to
find out!!  I'm sure Chris might not have valued the RCX brick as much as I did
when returning parts to the box. Though I felt I was putting in way over the value
of the brick with the sets I added.  In a way I wish I would have left them as sets
going in, though with that many more whole boxes in there, it would have cost much
more for postage than it did.
And.... Where did all the new sets that were in the box go?  (I should have taken
pics...) there were at least 10 FULL boxed sets in there. this didn't dawn on me
till now...

Hmm, it does almost seem like there was an extra person between you and
me. Did you check the box when it came back to you after the first
attempt to mail to Kyle? I wonder if I managed to misplace a bag of
stuff (or could Kyle have?)? As I recall, the box was pretty well sealed
so it shouldn't have leaked parts (the baggies definitely were in bad
shape, so they did leak some parts into the inside of the box). There
were something like 5 or 6 boxed sets, did you put any of those in? I
didn't take any out, and Kyle mentions taking a white Ninja one out, and
Shiri also took a white Ninja one out (seen in the picture of stuff she
took). I guess it's possible that the several sets worth that you put in
just don't look like much when semi-sorted, which I can see happening if
they were promo sets. It's still shocking how the box could lose $50 in
value by Chris's measure, since it seems to me that the worst any one of
us might have done is shorted the box a dollar or two in value, even if
we somehow shorted it $5 in value for each of us, that's still only $20
in value.

I guess one question which I would ask is how one would value the
Fabuland garage I took out. Sheree R. had valued it at $7.50 which is
what I used. One problem perhaps is that the 6094 that I put in most of
(the main thing I kept was the arched window, also kept 2 2x2x3 grey
extreme slopes, and the dark grey 1x2x5 columns [they didn't seem worth
burdening the box with to me]) was undervalued. Perhaps I also
undervalued the rest of the bits I took. In retrospect, perhaps I
shorted the box a few bucks worth, especially since I managed to avoid
paying for a shipping step. I could mail Russell some stuff to add to
the box as penance.

Frank