 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1647
Re: UPDATE: Re: Weeks Box - round two (...no, really!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:12:22 GMT

[Major trimming since I figure all of you just read Chris' post]

Bleah, that sounds majorly disappointing. My guess is there are people
(or person - it obviously doesn't take many) who view the boxes as a
place to "get cool pieces they want in exchange for crap they don't
want" rather than "get cool pieces they want in exchange for cool
pieces they don't want." I may not have any more use for a 40-tooth
gear than for a scuffed 2x2 brick but I certainly know which I'd be
adding to a Jambalaya box and which I wouldn't.

I also bet some people try to get their money's worth by shorting the
box to make up for postage costs. These boxes are *not* an efficient
way to trade parts. Everyone who plays fair should be losing money
compared to if they traded the parts 1-on-1 with another individual
or sold them on Brickbay.

What's the deal with the minifigs?  Is there some use for hands that I've not
heard of?  Why are half the figs missing their hands?  And how will they ever
be any good to anyone without the hands?

The only use I know of is replacing the lost/broken hands of other figs. This
is probably a prime example of mistaken trade valuation. Hands: they're very
common since virtually every minifig has 2 ==> minifigs minus their hands are
worth almost as much as minifigs (when adding back into the box) or minifig
hands alone aren't worth much (when taking them from the box). Of course,
this fails to take into account the fact the the resulting figs are pretty
much useless without their hands.

Has anyone any ideas on how to better assure that particpants will play nice?
I'm not at all willing to even speculate which of the people who got this box
are likely to have caused the problem since they're basically all upstanding
LUGNuts.  I don't really know Kyle, but that's not a good reason to suspect
someone.

Probably the only way to do that would be to require every recipient to e-mail
you detailed lists of what they took out and what they added and at least a
rough description of what else is in the box. Not at all a pleasant task for
anyone, yourself included, and it still wouldn't guarantee people weren't
cheating.

[Re: trading fairly]
I'm curious about how each of you handled this aspect of it.  I basically
eye-ball my trades, but I also tend to over-pay and I think that I know the
value of current elements pretty well.  (Though, I'm totally struggling to get
a handle on train parts now.)

Same here. I've been buying and selling parts for years so have a pretty good
idea of the values even for stuff I don't want. And when in doubt, add more
good stuff. :-)

Doug