 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 1643
Re: UPDATE: Re: Weeks Box - round two (...no, really!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:46:41 GMT

Well, I just go the box back yesterday and just looked through it today.  I
have to say that I am less than enthused.  I think that the value of the box is
similar to how it was before I dropped the RCX in.  So basically, I think it
lost about $50 along the way.  But everyone reports reasonable sounding trades.
I'm confused.  And some of the stuff does wreak of smoke and has a sticky
residue.  Ugh.

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Tamyra Teed writes:

Well this makes me wonder because all the parts I put in were brand new, I • just
opened the box and dumped into brand new baggies.

There are a couple of those still there.

And there was only one other person between us :( I noticed from
looking at the pics there doesn't seem to be much of what I put
in there.  I didn't think the box could get grungy that fast :(

I guess it can.  Did the box go to anyone that was not on the list?  Anyone at
all?

I'm beginning to wonder if I mixed up the smoky box with something else (Shiri
- who did the box I brought the JB in come from before me - you didn't get

Several items that came back were in it when I sent it out, so I don't think
it's possible that it got mixed up.

probably mostly just horribly over-reacting based on the baggies and the fact
that so many of the minifigs are missing hands and arms. The past several

What's the deal with the minifigs?  Is there some use for hands that I've not
heard of?  Why are half the figs missing their hands?  And how will they ever
be any good to anyone without the hands?

I'm having a tough time deciding what went wrong and what the appropriate
response is.  It seems like the Jambalaya thing is at best a marginal success
-- unless the point is to distribute cool stuff and not expect a fair trade in
return.  OTOH, I have been very pleased with a couple boxes (mine when it came
back from California, the first box I got (GB3?), etc.).

Has anyone any ideas on how to better assure that particpants will play nice?
I'm not at all willing to even speculate which of the people who got this box
are likely to have caused the problem since they're basically all upstanding
LUGNuts.  I don't really know Kyle, but that's not a good reason to suspect
someone.

In my note http://news.lugnet.com/market/jambalaya/?n=1309 announcing the most
recent set of circuits, I wrote:

If you play this box, please consider yourself obligated to the following:

1. You will post a quickie note in response to this thread within three
days of receiving this box, stating that you have it and if you've done
your trades -- what they were in general terms only.  If you haven't done
your trades the note will include an ETA on when the trade will be concluded
and when you'll ship it out.

Tamy: let us know when she got it and after prompting included some info about
what she took and put in.  She got it 26 Oct 2000.

Kyle: posted nothing.

Frank: reprted getting it on 20 Dec 2000.  On 1 Jan, he reported what he took
and added.

Shiri: posted some pics on 1 Jan 2001 which basically, told what she was
taking, if not what she added. (though, I think I know from looking at the
contents.)

This was 11 weeks for five mailings.  I guess these results aren't too bad.

2. You will strive to trade fairly.  If you know the market, then you should
know what fair is.  If you don't, then look it up.  Use the most recent
Auczilla, use eBay, ask around, ask me, etc.  There are many resources to
make sure that you're being fair.  I want newbies to feel comfortable
participating, but it is important that everyone is playing by the same
rules.

I'm curious about how each of you handled this aspect of it.  I basically
eye-ball my trades, but I also tend to over-pay and I think that I know the
value of current elements pretty well.  (Though, I'm totally struggling to get
a handle on train parts now.)

The list of recipients from now looks like:

Russell Clark    Trains, WW, bushes         Technic, Castle, Space
Ran Talbott      Technic, Town(ish) figs    Castle, Aqua*, Adven.
Matthew Greene   misc                       misc
Dave Johann      RR, Space, dk. grey        Pirate, windows, Castle
Erik Olson       Romans and urban edifice   lots of misc.
Chris Weeks      Whatever                   Who Knows?
Doug Finney      trans*, classic, struct    castle, minifig, classic
Tom Stangl       pink, Train, garage doors  SW, Adven, Dark Forest
Paul Sinasohn    pastel, spkwheel, girder+  Technic, minifigs, plates
Mark Millere     train/mono, tech, 1/2 arch castle, SW, WW
Chris Weeks      misc                       misc

I'll watch any responses from this note over the weekend, I'll tune the box,
print a list of addresses, and get it in the mail next week.  (Or at least I'll
try. :-)

Chris