Re: What is a "review"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:19:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:

To a large extent, it's probably just a case of who happened to see your
words. Of course some of us may hold someone who creates a review site
to a higher standard than someone who posts a review every once in a
while in lugnet.reviews.

I would lambaste anyone (in a gentle way, of course, I'm all sweetness and
light) posting a formal review to lugnet.reviews who hadn't bought the set
as well....

I know I'm jumping late, but this whole thing reminded me of an incident
concerning an arts critic for one of the big two San Francisco papers a few
years back.  He wrote a review of the opening night performance of a play or
ballet or something, and no one would ever have known he hadn't actually
attended the performance except that, unfortunately for him, the lead got sick
and there was a stand-in that night.  I suspect the righteous indignation felt
by Richie about the JS set is similar to that felt by those attending the
performance, who knew the critic was writing a bunch of hooey when he went on
and on about the wrong lead performer.

Similar arguments have occured on Lugnet before in which someone will take
pains to explain what he or she meant when someone else calls them on something
that doesn't sit right because it doesn't mesh with our conventional
understanding of an idea (here, a review).  I don't doubt that Allan meant no
harm and was not trying to perpetrate a fraud here, but the fact is that, in
the culture shared by most of us here, when we think of a review, we make the
assumption that the reviewer has actually taken part in the experience.  As
they say in Writing 101, consider the audience!

BTW I will x-post this once to loc.sf just in case anyone knows about the
critic and whether he got fired or just slunk away into the night, because I've
always wondered what happened.

Maggie C.

P.S.  Allan, I'd also gladly send you a Jack Stone set gratis-- once they hit
75% off at Target!  :-)