 General / 6572
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 14:43:52 GMT

Robert Munafo (munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom) wrote:
: [1] I am not counting the carving of the tiny letters "LEGO" on the studs. Your
: hypothetical model railroaders wouldn't bother with such detail, and it
: probably doesn't affect LEGO's cost anyway since they probably have specialized
: milling machines dedicated just to this purpose.

We also contract with people who make molds.  To carve the "LEGO"
letters in, you'd probably use plunge EDM, where you make a carbon
electrode positive of hte numbers, and burn the negative into each stud.

That tool steel they use is pretty hard stuff.

-Bill