 General / 22275
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:57:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Hope I'm not stealing Steve Chuck's thunder, but I was browsing the Brickshelf
Gallery and came upon this picture:

It was taken on a LEGO factory tour. It's a picture of a retired mold which
makes 8 2x3 bricks. There is a little caption plate which said it made

I'd take a stab that that is actually the "LEGO Factory Tour" in Funtown at
LLC.  Or at least, it looks an awful lot like it. :)  There is also a mold
machine pumping out 2x4 red bricks (at the time) and an assembly line machine
that made & took apart simple LEGO cars.

120,000,000 bricks (thus was used for 15 MILLION cycles). If that mold cost 10
times as much as the mold Robert describes, it still comes out to less than 1
cent per brick, and 10 times the cost of the mold Robert describes is probably
an exageration).

Actually, it looks like the mold may make more than 8 bricks, it looks like it
has 4 layers, and thus makes 32 bricks.

Making for a mere 3.75 million cycles... However, IIRC, the mold machine on
display there only dropped a single layer of bricks at a time - it's
reasonable to assume that the mold machine on display resembles those in the
factory, which would make that an 8 brick mold.

Someone who's been to LLC more recently than I may have more accurate info.
(Or maybe Ashley could shed some official light on our speculation... Ashley?)

James