 General / 6544
Re: Bulk Ordering - Secrets Revealed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:30:44 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Mark Harrison wrote:

They have changed strategic direction, pleasing individual customers is not a
priority once a company has established its dominance in the marketplace. It was
always a lego CSO that was not designed and not required to show a profit. The
next service to go is the spare parts packs. This will probably be followed by
the damaged/lost instructions and pieces service offered by most lego customer
service offices around the world.

By removing these lego community services, lego reduces the need for staff in
these areas and reducing staff is always the simplest means of cost cutting. I
think things will only get worse until lego is openned up to public ownership as
the controlling family doesn't care about anything but making a profit.

Being a public company is absolutely no guarantee of better customer
service. If anything, I would suspect it would provide less incentive.
Public companies are ALL about the almighty profit (actually, the
almighty stock price). Public companies are always making short sighted
decisions because they make the stock price go up.

The real problem is that TLG is struggling to keep a place in the market
against the trend away from playing with toys to playing with computer
games and watching television.

I really hope the Lego train clubs can really make a difference and
generate a market. This may be one of the best bets yet for survival of
Lego bricks. Model Railroading is somehow not only surviving in this
changing market, but growing. A lot of it is that model trains aren't
toys any more, they are serious models. They also have an element which
is very difficult to get in any other toy or model (other than computer
games), the capability to simulate an entire system.

--
Frank Filz

-----------------------------
Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com

Frank I have to agree with most of what you've said there... the Train
groups really do give TLG a lot of exposure.. and I'm sure will kindle
or even rekindle a fondness in people... THOUGH... If these "new" people
think that they can create what they are seeing out of the box... they
will be sorely mistaken... Conan's collection, from what I can tell, has
been assembled over a 20+ year time frame... when LEGO made GOOD sets...
even if you were to buy all the train stuff they currently have out..
and buy duplicates of every set possibly even 10 or 20 of some of them..
there's still NO way to recreate what Conan and the other Guys have
done..

I get so angry at TLG for the way they've started running things... I
may have had my darkages, though I still bought a few sets even during
that, not that I may have played with them. I still thought they were
cool sets.. always in the back of my mind.. I'll find time again
someday!  We've supported TLG for the last 20+ years (some more than
others) though we as ADULTS have still supported them.. and what do we
get?? NOTHING... Oh... maybe they mention a few things.. Ed "Boxer"
Jones Castle in their book.. (hmm only one that comes to mind right
now)... I would think that as a guesture of good will they would try to
support a few groups, Groups like the Train ones... That give them
publicity for FREE... just for the love of the hobby. And even if not
support them in some way.. at least officially Sponsor them.. Company's
do that kind of stuff everyday.. Give them cheaper airfare or car
rental.. somehow so they can make it all of the Train shows.. and help
to promote their train line and LEGO in general..
I think before I get my dander up too much again I'll stop now...

On another note... when is this midnight raid of the TLG happening?? I
sure don't want to miss that!!!!

--
Keep on Bricken'
-Tamy